Friday, March 11, 2011

Allusions from poems to Farewell to arms

In Ernest Hemingway’s “A Farewell to arms” Hemingway alludes in the passage where he is dreaming about Catherine. He uses allusions from the poem “Sweet and Low” by Alfred Lord Tennyson to show his longing for Catherine, and his longing to want to be there to console her in the uncomfortable times of her pregnancy. In “Sweet and Low” Alfred Lord Tennyson states “Come from the dying moon, and blow, Blow him again to me; While my little one, while my pretty one, sleeps.” While Hemingway states “That my sweet love down might rain. Blow her again to me….. I’ll get you some cold water. In a little while it will be morning and then it won’t be so bad.”This poem is a lullaby and that’s exactly what Hemingway uses it for, he is trying to get Catherine to go to sleep. In the poem “Sweet and Low” the first stanza describes the way the woman wants and longs for her husband. The Same way Henry is longing and wanting for Catherine, in this scene Henry fell asleep in the truck and started dreaming about Catherine and that’s all he could think about “Maybe she wasn’t asleep.  Maybe she was lying thinking about me.” “The second stanza is a woman consoling her child, reassuring them that their dad will be back and to go to sleep."Sleep and rest, sleep and rest Father will come to thee soon; Rest, rest, on mothers breast; Father will come to thee soon." In Hemingway’s book he is not reassuring the child but he is reassuring Catherine because she is still with child."I Hope you sleep well . If  it's too uncomfortable, darling, lie on the other side," I said. I'll get you some cold water. in a little while it will be uncomfortable. Try and go to sleep, sweet."

No comments:

Post a Comment